Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Motivation, believing in yourself, and other sorta related topics

So I love running. But sometimes my running is just a little off. Let me elaborate. Some days I get really wrapped up in my running and just run and before I know it I've reached my goal! And there are others days when I just can't seem to get into it. I find myself struggling, huffing and puffing, after just 1 mile when the day before I ran 3 miles with relative ease. I don't understand why it happens but I have learned you have to get motivated and push through. Today was one of those days when running was a struggle. I only made it 2 miles before I accepted defeated and started walking. But then I realized, I wasn't ever going to get any better if I quit running everytime it got hard. So I knew that had to start running again and finish my 5k running. When I got to 3.1 miles I was still mad at myself for quitting so I decided to make up the distance I walked. And even after I made up the distance I kept going because my favorite song was on and I was in the zone. It turns out I surpassed my goal. What started as just an average day running turned into an awesome lesson. 

I've heard a thousand times "don't give up"! But in that moment i just wanted to quit. This happens all the time. Math is hard, quit. A book report is hard, quit. There are so many opportunities to quit it's insane!! But you know what. I'm not going to quit. Next time I step on that treadmill I'm going to reach my goal, without stopping along the way, because I know I can do it. That brings me to my second lesson and something I really need to work on. Believing in myself. I doubted my ability to make it to 3.1 miles. But I proved to myself I could do it. Instead of holding myself back to prevent failure, I need to go out on a limb and take a chance. So many times I've lost opportunities because I was scared I would fail. That's no way to live. So I challenge myself to take more chances and trust myself. Becuause I know I can do it. But sometimes it just takes a little motivation. Maybe you'll make a deal with yourself. Like if you run 2 miles you can have that peice of candy. Or maybe someone else makes a deal with you like if you run I will bring you a sprite tomorrow (*wink wink). Or maybe it's just a really awesome person that wants the best for you. Those are the best kind of people. The ones that believe in you and encourage you to be the best that you can be. So to all the motivators in the world: thank you. You make this world a better place. 

It's kinda really neat that little lessons in life can be found in the most unexpected places and times. That's my little treasure for the day. And I thinks it's pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment